Thursday, January 22, 2009
Palestinians Arabs Are Rightful Owners of Najd (so-called Sderot)
Sderot, established in 1951 and Or ha-Ner, established in 1957, sit atop the village lands of Najd. According to Village Statistics from the 1945 Mandatory government, Palestinians own 12,669 dunums of land (ninety-five percent of which was cultivated before their expulsion) to which the Israeli government forbids them to return, while Jews owned 495 dunums of uncultivated land.
The villagers were expelled on 13 May 1948. Many villagers who attempted to return to their lands were shot.
In 1596, according to Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi in All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Najd had 215 inhabitants. In 1945, 620 Palestinian Arabs were living in 82 houses.
Zaid Nabulsi in his precise and humorous "Zionism is an incurable disease" pegs the attitudes of the usurpers:
"To deny the orchestrated eradications of hundreds of Palestinian villages in 1948 and then denounce the Israeli historians who later exposed this truth as self-hating Jews is compulsive forgery.
"To claim that having escaped the horrors of the Nazis is a justification for the murder, expulsion and occupation of another, guiltless, people is moral incapacity.
"To legislate that any resident of Poland, New York or Brazil, who happens to be blessed with a Jewish mother (yet cannot point to Palestine on the map), has a right to 'return' and settle in Palestine, unlike someone who has been expelled from his own land, confined to a squalid refugee camp and still holds the keys to his house, is racism."