Saturday, January 03, 2009
Ashdod Built on 'Leveled' Arab Suqrir
The population af 'Arab Suqrir was 390 in 1944/45(80). Palestinian Arabs owned 12,270 dunums of the land, and Jews owned none (80). Their houses were made of stone. The villagers cultivated orchards, citrus, cereals, citrus and bananas (80).
Israel was quite busy during the second truce of the 1948 war leveling villages and ethnically cleansing the Arab Palestinian population.
"The Brigade [Giv'ati] made use of the second truce of the war 'to expell all unarmed [persons] from [the area],' according to the operational orders. A Giv'ati intelligence officer claimed that most inhabitants had left by the time the orders were implemented, so the units blew up stone houses and burned huts, and 'ten Arabs who tried to escape were killed'" (80).
"Two houses remain standing" (81).